Professor, Director of CoSyLLab
- University of Piraeus, Department of Digital Systems 80 Karaoli & Dimitriou, 185 34 Piraeus, GREECE
- Tel. 0030 210 414 2765, Fax. 0030 210 414 2753
- e-mail: retal-at-unipi.gr
- About me
- Research Interests
Who am I? -Good question!
Dear net surfer, I am Professor at the Department of Digital Systems, University of Piraeus since June 2003. I am working in a new department with nice and talented academic staff, which tries to provide students with knowledge and practical experience in various fields of digital technology, mainly in computer networking and advanced learning technologies.
I am coordinating the activities of the CoSy Learning Lab. This group performs research and development in the fields of the elearning material and systems development, adaptive hypermedia design models, usability engineering, and engineering of cultural portals. More recently we give emphasis on the construction of a pattern language for e-learning. Please visit the ELEN project web site to learn more about this effort and to access the elearning patterns repository.
I was born in Athens, Greece ages ago ...16-06-1969. I think that 1969 was a good year for newborn babies!
I finished elementary school, high school, and I ended up being an undergraduate student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), where I also did my PhD thesis. NTUA is perhaps the best engineering school in Greece and my learning experiences have been great.
I successfully completed my PhD research in November 1998. The subject of my thesis was "CADMOS: a web based CoursewAre Development Methodology for Open learning Systems". Till August 2000, I worked as research assistant at the Software Engineering Laboratory of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens.
In September 2000, I was given a lectureship position at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Cyprus. I spent 3 really nice years at an excellent working environment and a nice country.
Very significant academic year of my life was 1994-1995 when I successfully attended the MSc course in Information Technology: Knowledge Based Systems at the Department of Artificial Intelligence at the University of Edinburgh. Great city (Edinburgh), lots of good friends, very interesting MSc course, and splendid life!
I am quite active in R&D, having participated to (and coordinated) various European R&D projects such as ELEN, TELL, MENU, UNIVERSAL, etc. I serve in the editorial board of international journals such as Computers in Human Behavior, IEEE Journal of Educational Technology and Society, ACM Computing Reviews, Journal of Information Technology Education. I also participate to the ACM Web Engineering special interest group, to the CEN/ISSS learning technologies workshop. I have organised and "chaired" several workshops and panels such as the ACM SAC'04 "Elearning Systems Engineering". My publication list contains more than 70 items.
- Favorite songs: "What a wonderful world" by Luis Armstrong.
- Favorite saying: "Science sans conscience ruine l' tre" by Baudelaire.
- Favorite cuisine: Greek but Mexican is tasteful.
- Favorite European cities: Nafplio (Greece), Edinburgh, and Paris.
- Favorite job: Being in an academic environment!
- Favorite sport: Rafting!
Undergraduate courses at the University of Piraeus, Department of Digital Systems
- DS723: Innovation Management
- DS702: Didactics of Digital Technologies
- DS705: Instructional Design of Adult Learning Programs
Postgraduate courses at the University of Piraeus, Department of Digital Systems, Digital Systems & Services, e-Learning
In the past, I also offered the following courses:
Undergraduate courses at the Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus
- CS 420: High Speed Multimedia and Multiservice Networks
- CS 422: Multimedia Technologies
- CS131: Programming Techniques
- CS 654: Advanced Learning Technologies (at the Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus) Web Engineering (via Open and Distance Learning method at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece)
- Learning Design
- Interaction Design for Children with Learning Disabilities
- Digital Learning Games
- Learning Management Systems for LifeLong Learning